EU Commission pushes for facilitation of postings during corona
On 30 March 2020, the Commission published Guidelines for maintaining the free movement of workers during the COVID 19 pandemic.
According to these Guidelines, Member States should give preferential treatment to certain mobile workers (posted workers, seasonal workers and frontier workers). These Guidelines cover, among other things, engineering professions as well as engineering and comparable skilled workers. Most of the service personnel posted in the mechanical engineering sector would be covered by this definition. As also requested by VDMA, the aim is to ensure the cross-border functioning of the supply chain and service requirements.
In addition, Member States should generally allow posted workers and cross-border workers from other professions to cross the border for their work. This is subject to the condition that employment in the sector concerned continues to be permitted in the host Member State. Member States should also treat cross-border workers and local workers equally.
With regard to seasonal workers (especially in agriculture), the EU Commission calls for an exchange of information. The EU Member States should exchange information on the demand for seasonal workers and introduce procedures to ensure smooth border crossing for cross-border workers in order to respond to crisis-related labour shortage.
VDMA supports these Guidelines of the Commission. "As mentioned in our March 2020 position paper on the posting of workers during the COVID 19 pandemic, we also hope that the Commission will provide standard forms that posted workers can use when travelling to other EU Member States. In addition, it would be desirable for the Commission to set up a platform containing the applicable national legislation," says Holger Kunze, Head of VDMA's European Office in Brussels.
For further information please click here:
- The Communication of the EU Commission on the free movement of workers can be found here.
- VDMA's position paper on the posting of workers during the COVID 19 outbreak can be found below as attached PDF
- The statement by Holger Kunze, Head of VDMA's European Office in Brussels, on the practical Guidelines of the EU Commission on the free movement of workers can be found here.
- VDMA's commentary on the EU Commission's recommendations for the protection of the free movement of goods (Green Lanes) can be found here.
- The Commission Factsheet on “COVID-19: Information for frontier workers and posted workers” can be found below as attached PDF
The Guidelines on the posting of workers of 30 March complement the Guidelines on border management adopted by the EU Commission a week before. The goal was to ensure the free movement of goods within the EU - among other things by introducing so-called "Green Lanes".